Monday, November 5, 2012

Hello, world. Please excuse the prolonged absence. 

I've been busy. (Yes, it's possible sometimes.)

Busy making history.
I was the first female to win a race on the first BMX race track
in the English-speaking Caribbean.


Busy watching sea turtle releases on St. Mary's north coast.


Busy learning about raising bees with site mate.


Busy helping with a Marlin Tournament in St. Mary.
And gawking at the winning marlin for the day at 340 pounds.


Busy hiking the tallest mountain in the Caribbean,
Blue Mountain Peak.


 As you can see, it was the coldest I've ever been in Jamaica.
Refreshing, really.



 We woke up at 2:00 in the morning, hoping to catch the sunrise from the top.
While the sun beat us, it was still a spectacular view, and worth waking early.



 At the top?
A giant jungle-gym, which provided for an even better view.



 And I've been busy recovering from Hurricane Sandy.

My current (electricity) was out for over a week.
A handful of volunteers within miles of me are still without.
Contrary to popular belief, it's not like camping.
Because when you camp, you camp near a usable water source.
And you take vacation from work.


Words cannot describe and pictures do not do justice to explain the experience.
This is the flooded field across the highway from me, as it was happening.


 St. Mary (me), Portland, and St. Thomas suffered the most damage.
While a handful of families in my community lost all they had,
we were more fortunate than our surrounding communities.


 Despite the challenges (and mine are relatively few compared to volunteers around me),
I am thankful for this experience.
I have a much better understanding and new compassion
for the development challenges this nation and it's people face.

No comments:

Postings