Thursday, August 9, 2012

Breadfruit

Sorry it's been over a month and this is all I have to show you for now.

I had never heard of breadfruit before arriving in Jamaica; however, my father told me that it has an interesting place in the history of West Indian slave trading. Go figure.

The tree itself is not native to Jamaica, but was carried here from Africa. There are a few different varieties, some of which grow in Florida. Almost all of the varieties have to be cooked before they're edible. My favorite way to eat it is roasted. The fruit is loaded with nutrients and has been claimed to be the solution to hunger in places such as Africa.

The fruit itself is light, spongy, dry, and fibrous when roasted. It goes well as a side to almost anything. Yesterday I had it with curry chicken and pok choi. I tried it once with peanut butter, but it was way too dry to be palatable. Jamaicans have done amazing things with breadfruit, including making a flour from it. There was even a breadfruit festival in St. Mary a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend. 

game: how many breadfruits can you spy?
The following are a series of pictures in which my training host mother roasted breadfruit. 
Without further adieu:
fruit on the tree
ripe breadfruit, ready to face it's doom
making ready to set the fire
Mrs. Collins preparing the fire
don't tell the environment sector we're using gasoline
and on she goes!

must rotate about every 20 minutes

directions: roast the living daylights out of it

finally done roasting

don't eat the peel or the pit, but enjoy the rest!

4 comments:

Rendy Bahari said...

wow interesting

I hope you also visit my blog http://informasi-dasar.blogspot.com.

Thank you.

Dinesh said...

thank's for breadfruit knowledge.

Teuvo Vehkalahti said...

This blog is through a nice to meet new people and their land, culture and nature. Come and look at you Teuvo Kuvat - Teuvo images, both at the same time will be my blog collection flag depicting your country's flag to rise higher. You should also tell all your friends to my blog by fermentation. Teuvo Vehkalahti Finland

cho-cho said...

i know that fruit...
its same like fruit in my country... we say "sukun"...

heheheh ^^ nice knowladge.....

Postings