Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011: The Year of Change

A week ago a friend asked me what God has shown me through this past season.
This morning in church six vulnerable people shared what they have learned in 2011.
As the introspective type, I constantly reflect on these same things.
Ergo, I am inclined to be cliche and share my own.
Reflection is careful consideration.
After months of careful consideration, a certain theme continues to rise above the rest.

Friendship.

"'Tis absence, however, that makes the heart grow fonder."

Imagine being cut off from everything and everyone that is familiar. Except for your underwear.
Making new friends during Peace Corps service is not optional. It's survival.
I have never, never had a stronger bond with a group of people than I did during pre-service training.
What was more interesting, though, was to discover who from my pre-PC life decided to make the effort to maintain a now international friendship.
I'm not judging; I myself gained a whole new perspective on what it means to be a friend.
THE most difficult part of the past five or six months has been to be unexpectedly torn from those new, instantly-best-friend-status friendships: PC/The Gambia volunteers, African medical doctors, pseudo Lebanese family, networking from friends back home, PC med evacs.

So what has God taught me in 2011? What stands out the most?

The faithfulness of a friend.
True friends know no bounds.
"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
     - Proverbs 18:24
"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."
     - John 15:13

There are a few friends who have stood out above all the relationships.
You know exactly who you are. You have made the difference.
Thank you.

No comments:

Postings