Saturday, October 2, 2010

If I Weren't a Christian....

....would I be a hippie?

Phil asked me this question a couple of nights ago. I laughed it off as visions of tree-hugging, long-hair and flowy-skirt going, government-protesting, animal rights activists flashed through my mind.

No.

I would not be a hippie if I weren't a Christian.

Then I told my "adopted" dad about this question. His reply was, "Of course you would be!"
Sheesh. His primary reason was that I "run around barefoot" all the time. What he doesn't know is that I usually see him after a full day of teaching in high-heels and HAVE to have some sort of relief for my poor feet....in the form of no shoes. And I only "run around barefoot" indoors, anyway. So there.


 I didn't really pay attention to Phil's reasons for asking the question, but I think it has to do with my picky eating habits of mostly organic food. 


So does that make everyone who eats organic an automatic hippie? I eat organic (and no sugar, grains, dairy, or legumes) for health reasons. I've read enough and experienced enough to conclude that the said above foods are no bueno for humans.


I especially don't like long skirts. Even cute ones like this:

  
And, though I think that having to take showers is annoying, I gladly do so out of respect for myself and others around me.


I'm not an environmental activist. Yes, I care about the earth, but I don't think that we're causing an epidemic of global warming. I do, however, think that we are mucking up the system that God provided us with. We are playing with and altering things that we weren't meant to. Genetically modifying foods and cloning live cells I am not such a huge fan of. Because we are trying to take life into our own hands. It's a stewardship issue to me. We're not being good stewards of what God has given us. I suppose that if I didn't have a Christian worldview, I would be a "hippie" in that sense. I appreciate the farm and feel like I can breathe better in the natural environment. God has given us all that we need for life and godliness! We don't need to add anything to it.

I actually really don't like animals. True story. I admire them, certainly. But I'm not one to "ohhh" and "ahhhh" at pictures of puppies and kittens. It probably all started with my childhood adulthood fear of dogs. And horses. My sisters were all up in the animal business. Not me. I was the only one who never wanted a dog as a kid and never took horse lessons at the riding stables down the street. Nope, too much risk of being mauled and hurt. I'll appreciate them from a distance, thank you very much. For what it's worth, even though this won't help my argument at all, I prefer bugs. Bugs are cool. Barely any of them can do you harm, and they're a tiny part of our ecosystem! My personal favorite is the rhinoceros beetle. We saw them all over the place in Papua New Guinea. 

And geckos are pretty cool, too:


I ride my bike to work and for other occasional errands for the exercise factor. And because it saves gas in my car. If I'm going to go to work then go to the gym afterward, why not just ride my bike to and from work and cut the gym out later? We can kill faaaar too many birds with that stone. (Told you I don't like animals.)


I make my own clothes (sometimes) because I like to be original. And creative. In fact, I usually base my designs off of modern things I've seen by top designers and high-end fashion stores. Why pay more when you can make it for pennies? This girl has been the most recent inspiration.


One more thought. My sister was telling me about a War and Peace lecture course she took in college. One of the men chosen to lecture was an editor of a magazine. He lectured about keeping peace through sustainability. If each country is self-sustainable, his theory was that there would be no need for war. If any given people group can grow their own food, supply their own energy, and be self-reliant, then they're not depending on anyone else. They won't end up fighting with others that they're sharing with (because they're not sharing anything). He was so convinced of this that he put it into practice of his daily life. He did this by:

     - not owning a car (rode his bike almost everywhere and used public transportation when needed)
     - locavore in food choices (bought food only from within 100-mile radius of his house)
     - bought goods second-hand or from companies he knew were sustainable
     - used renewable resources


Hearing about this man's lifestyle was rather inspiring. Would you call him a hippie? Probably not. Just a conscious consumer. Who is doing us all a favor. I want to be like him. I want to be a good steward of what God has given me. I want to be wise with the resources that are in my direct (and indirect) care. Because of my love for the Lord.


Ok, Phil. You win. I would probably be a "hippie" if I weren't Christian. A non-pot smoking, shoe-wearing, and showering hippie. I might even have a hippie headband that I wear sometimes. Might.


7 comments:

Blamp's Blogs said...

I just read your wonderful blog, thank you, it was a good read. You seem remarkably intelligent and creative. Just please, (and I mean absolutely no offence at all to you) please PLEASE reconsider your thoughts on global warming. The human race dumps 26.7 BILLION TONS of carbon dioxide gas, (C02) into the atmosphere every year.

That’s just CO2, not to mention other chemicals like mercury, Sulfur oxides,
Nitrogen oxides, Volatile organic compounds…and sadly the list goes on and on. No intelligent person can assume that this activity can not cause catastrophic consequences.

This is what 26.7 billion (tons=2,000lbs) looks like on paper: 26,700,000,000.00 (that’s billion) imagine what it looks like in the atmosphere. It’s only getting worse. Not to be all doom and gloom :( really; just do some reading, please take the time to re think it.
Thank you
David

Subh said...

Excellent Blog. Share information is only the blogging. Your blog is good inforamtive. your very beautiful lady.
Enhance Knowledge by sharing information.

http://Kaltar.blogspot.com

Artsdeco said...

Hello
Congratulations for your blog.
You want to change the wallpaper of your blog, I give you this address: http://artsdco.blogspot.com

Pema said...

I enjoyed reading

BIBSZ's News 4 U said...

Great Blog. It even got me thinking. Catchy title as well.
U should come over to my blog called Bibsz's News 4 U. I provide the latest information / gossip, epic videos / pictures. Garunteed satisfaction provided.

Lorraine said...

Why can't you dress like a hippy and eat organic like a hippy still be a Christian? You are putting too many restrictions on yourself! : ) Hippys were not all bad. Not every hippy takes drugs and sleeps around.

Hopz said...

you would be a hippie for sure!!

Postings