Saturday, July 24, 2010

Awesome Austin!

On Tuesday afternoon I got to meet my 15-year-old cousin at the beach in Santa Barbara. He was there with a friend's family.


The day was slightly overcast, which made for great pictures!
I haven't seen Austin in a number of years, and we re-connected over his Dad's wedding in June.
He is a cool kid with a lot of negative influence in his life (not to throw the baby out with the bath water; he definitely has positive influences, too).

It was funny to me that, after his dad's wedding, he was concerned that he wouldn't be able to hang out with me in the immediate future. Alas, when I found out he was going to be in Santa Barbara, there I was! We boogie-boarded it up, he taught me to throw a lacrosse ball, and what's a trip to the beach without someone getting buried?


We ended up going to State Street to walk around, enjoy the farmer's market, fro-yo, and conversation. He even humored me by accompanying me to Anthropologie! (My camera's battery failed after about the first 30 minutes, so there's a lack of pictures from the rest of our visit.)

It was really interesting to interact with a 15 year-old-boy. I never had brothers, and I guess my other cousin never let me on to what he was really thinking...GIRLS. It seemed like every 30 seconds he asked, "what do you think about that one?" or "Would you ever...with a guy?"

WOW! I was pretty surprised.

The cool part was that he was pretty open to talking about relationships and the why's and what matters the most's in them. I won't go into detail, but he text messaged me later that evening about the more serious things we talked through.


Thanks, Austin, for letting me hang out with you!

No comments:

Postings