Friday, April 30, 2010

My Sister got Engaged....

...and I came THIS close to spoiling the surprise.

Let me explain.

RARELY do I check my email in the morning. However, this morning I was ahead of schedule, syncing my iPod for new music I purchased last night, and decided that I may as well check my email while the music was transferring.

I had a whopping 2 new messages. One was from my mother. The subject line read: "GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!" (I literally copied & pasted that.) Of course I opened it immediately! Mom went on for two or three sentences that I was to call my older sister that night to ask her about the great news. I let out an "ugh!" because I thought I missed something big last night. (She and her boyfriend have been discussing engagement possibilities, gone ring shopping, et al. I definitely missed something BIG yesterday.)

With a bitter attitude growing inside I dialed my sister's digits.
I was met by a chirpy, "Hey, Kate!" on the other end.
"So, Mom says you have good news to share."

Silence.
Awesome.

"Uhhhh, I don't know what she's talking about."
"Are you sure? You're not engaged or anything?"
"No, David & I are went ring shopping, like I told you, and though nothing's set yet, we're still thinking about sometime around Thanksgiving."
With panic in my voice I asked, "He wouldn't propose to you over Skype, would he??" (David lives in another state. Thank you, eHarmony.)
Laughing, "No. He wouldn't."
"Ooooookkkkkaaaaaaaayyyy. Maybe mom's just off her rocker. I'll call her and ask what she's talking about."

As I hung up with my sister I read the time that my mother had sent the email. A mere 30 minutes previous to the above conversation. Oops! Mom had meant to call Sarah tonight! Not last night!! My reputation of the family secret ruin-er was forever sealed in stone. Greeaat.

Fortunately, all is well that ends well. David flew in to CA this afternoon, our little sister ushered him to Sarah's apartment, and he was graced by her nonsuspicious presence as she arrived home from work. He proposed in her apartment, complete with roses and a ring. She said YES!

Now that I've had a chance to publically defend myself,

Congratulations, Sarah & Daivd. I love you!

1 comment:

Tamsen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Postings