Wednesday, August 26, 2009

People think I'm crazy

...for my thoughts and practices on eating habits.

I'm not one to share about my personal eating habits much, but I find myself quite alone in this process and am rather compelled to make a case here on the 'ol blog. Where no one can argue with me. Or make fun of me. Or hurt my feelings. (Okay, it's not that extreme.)

For some time now I have been quite interested in nutrition. It all surfaced when I started working for a health care professional. And ever since I stuck my toes in the water, I have found myself in over my head more than once. Many people assumed that I had "healthy" eating habits even before now. Now they just think I'm extreme. I have come to find out that those "healthy" eating habits I grew up with are mere marketing schemes that Americans have been led to believe for decades now. (No offense to mom & dad--they did a great job raising us.) Since it's late as I write this, I will just throw one example out there.

I have ceased consuming dairy products. No yogurt. No cheese. No milk. These used to be some of my favorite things to consume! And just because I haven't had them in a long time doesn't mean that I don't miss them still.

Here's why:
Let's take milk as the most popular example. We are told from a young age that our bodies need milk for the calcium. And the first question to be raised when I bring up that I don't consume dairy products is "Then where do you get your calcium from?" We've been told that milk will give us strong teeth, protect our heart and keep us from getting osteoporosis. Contrary to popular belief, there is no calcium from any dairy product that is usable by the human body. For reals.

I know what you're thinking: Then why all the "Milk does a body good" celebrity advocates?
Let's go through the process. After a cow is milked, the milk contains usable calcium in it's most natural, organic form. But during the process of pasteurization, the milk is heated to a heat of 160 degrees. Good thing that active calcium is destroyed at a heat of 120 degrees. This turns the calcium into non-absorbable, nonorganic calcium. Is that enough to convince you? So what's the harm then in drinking milk?

Well, according to recent research in The British Medical Journal, bone loss can be linked to having too much animal protein in one's diet. Guess what milk is. Animal protein! One man explains it as "brushing your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste that also has cavity causing sweeteners added to it." There's more research I could go into, but not now.

So why isn't this research that's been documented made known to our American public? Here's a little known secret that you can use to answer the question: A big financial supporter of the National Osteoporosis Foundation is a company called Basa Worldwide. This is the same company that created the huge milk mustache campaign for the dairy industry. Do you really think the Osteoporosis Foundation would risk losing a big chunk of their money by making this information public and going against the message stated by one of their largest financial supporters? My simple answer to the question: It's all about politics and marketing.

This is only a scratch on the surface of reasons I stopped consuming dairy products. I could go further, but you probably have better things to do with your life. On another day when I'm no so sleepy I'll tell you more about major differences between you and me.

I'm not offended if you disagree with me; just don't make fun of me :) I realize that 99 percent of you won't think twice about what I just took time to write, and most of you will continue to think I'm crazy. But I've come to the point in my own life that I can't deny the facts any longer. Do as you will with my shared knowledge. In fact, I can picture my sister going to make herself a glass of chocolate milk just to spite this post. (I love you, really.)
Until the next nutritionally inspired post...
ONWARD.

3 comments:

Margrave said...

I don't think you're crazy Kate!! People think I'm extreme because I won't eat Ben 7 Jerry's due to their political views. I understand where you are coming from and while I didn't know everything you posted, I am not surprised it's true!

Jason Beals said...

Krazy Kate, that's what I'll call you from now on =)

I think what is crazy is that people believe something just because an expert says it...like "Milk does the body good". As with most things American, the market drives the methods. But I do think we will be drinking milk in the Millennial Kingdom...why....cause Israel is the land of.....you guessed it!

Thanks for the post, I enjoy your thinking and cogitating =)

Amanda said...

I don't think you're crazy but I am strangely craving a big glass of 1% right now...

Postings