Monday, June 22, 2009

Yum!

So I'm on this new kick of composing my food consumption of as much raw food as possible. Yes, this may seem really limiting, but it's also a good challenge to be creative! Since working for Dr. Standifer I have an increased interest in nutrition, and the more things I read and research, the more I am convinced that our bodies function best off of what the earth gives us: fruits, veggies and meat. Easy, right? Well, if you're not too hooked on the typical western norm of pre-packaged foods, dairy, wheat and sugars. It was actually harder than I thought it would be overall, but the health benefits are something I can't deny.

The whole point of this post was to share with you the yummy salad I made tonight, in hopes to encourage more nutritious eating.
Here it is:

Spinach, Raspberry & Walnut Salad
3 handfuls baby spinach, chopped or sliced
1/4 cup fresh washed raspberries
3 tbsp chopped raw walnuts
dash olive oil (cold pressed is best)

Drizzle a desired amount of olive oil over spinach leaves.
Top with raspberries and chopped walnuts.
Toss and enjoy!

This recipe happens to be rich with omega-3 fatty acids, which have gained much attention these days. Basically, our body needs both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, but the average American diet is rich in omega-6 oils (canola oil, veggie oil, corn oil, etc.) with scarce amounts of omega-3's. Nutritionists agree that the human body needs about a 1:2 ratio of omega-3's : omega-6's, but with processed and refined foods being the bulk of our consumption, we (Americans) typically consume a 1:10 ratio.
So there you have it...add this salad to a main course of baked salmon or other cold-water fish for even more omega-3's.
I was going to take a picture of this deliciousness, but my battery had run out. Oh well. Next time. Until then...bon appetite!

1 comment:

Carly said...

yum- sounds fabulous. thanks for the nutrition lesson :)

Postings