Thursday, April 2, 2009

4 Landmarks

When I was in high school my youth pastor had us do a little activity at the beginning of the school year. We divided a blank sheet of paper into 4 quadrants and drew pictures of 4 "landmarks" in our lives. We shared our drawings, landmarks and experiences with our small group and had a significant time getting to know one another.

We did this same activity with our high school students last night and it inspired me to think more thoroughly through those landmarks in my own life. Allow me to share them with you, one at a time.

Landmark #1: Disneyland

Disneyland is famous for being "the happiest place on earth." While some may disagree, we'll follow that general guideline for this activity. The Disneyland landmark of life is the happiest time in life. Looking back on my not-so-many life experiences, I'm compelled to say that one of the happiest times in life was when I myself was in high school.

During my sophomore year of high school three other girl friends and I drove down to San Luis Obispo, Ca, to visit one of their brothers (who was a student at Cal Poly, SLO) during a 4-day holiday weekend. I had never been on a road trip with just my friends before, and to be quite honest, I was surprised that my parents allowed me to go. We took off on a Friday morning and came back home the following Monday evening.

The weekend was full of friends, fellowship and adventure. We did things like backyard BBQ, meanderaning around downtown SLO, going to the movies, surfing, going to the shooting range, going to church, hiking Bishop's Peak (a MUST if you're in the area), swing dancing at Modonna Inn, and a myriad of other things that I can't remember. We left the weekend exhausted and her brother with much homework to catch up on.

Why was it my "Disneyland" experience? Because it truly was fun. It was perhaps the first time I had traveled away from and without my family. I was challenged that weekend spiritually being around a ton of more spiritually mature people. It grew those three girl friends and I together in a way that we hadn't experienced and left a sweet memory on us all. Each time I have been back to SLO those memories come flooding back and I will forever have fond memories of that little college town.surfing at Pismo Beach
Naomi, Jenn, me & Shannon

1 comment:

Carly said...

very very FUN. slo would probably be my happiest place too :)

Postings