Sunday, November 9, 2008

Practicing Thankfulness #8 & 9

8. I am thankful for hymns. There's nothing that ministers more to my soul than singing a hymn. I find myself singing hymns most when in the midst of persecution or a downcast spirit. Not that I am anywhere near what the African American slaves in the United States endured, but I have been told that the old Spirituals they wrote and sang came about because singing was one thing that could not be physically taken from them. Music is a gift, and sometimes I find no more joy than to sing good theology and thanksgiving back to my heavenly Father. The hymn that I have been revisiting this week goes,
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full on His wonderful face
And the things of this world will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.

9. I am thankful for friendship. Sometimes I am overwhelmed with all the people in my life and the responsibility to keep up with them. In taking a step backwards I can only respond in thankfulness to God for blessing me with so many loved ones in my life. I am thankful for their investment and encouragement. I pray that my life is a mere tool for growth in theirs as well. "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17).

No comments:

Postings