Monday, August 4, 2008

A Thought on Prayer

A couple of months ago I met and quickly befriended a family who immediately became dear to my heart. Donovan & Cate, along with their 4 children, came into my life at the most unexpected yet perfect time. At our sad farewell Donovan gave me one of his books, a biography on the life of Oswald Chambers. Donovan advised me to take my time reading though it, thus allowing Oswald's life and dedication to our Lord be an encouragement to my own. Today I came across Oswald's thoughts on prayer and was challenged by these words:

The purpose of prayer, in Chambers' mind, was to get into step with God, not to manipulate or coerce Him into blessing personal plans. He told his theology students in Cincinnati, "Prayer is not a preparation for work, it is work. Prayer is not a preparation for battle, it is the battle. Prayer it two-fold: definite asking and definite waiting to receive."


No comments:

Postings