Tuesday, March 13, 2007

JMK, the wasp & Dr. Wong

Many unexpected things have happened within the last 24 hours, and I would like to tell you about them, for the purpose of praising God's faithfulness in our lives.

First, Jake Keller (JMK) stopped by last night after a short choir concert. I thought he might be coming by, but I was really surprised that he showed up (I had my doubts, buddy). We had a sweet time chatting with my parents and then late into the night. It is so great to be able to hang out with a long-lost brother and have purposeful conversation. I'm sad that we don't have more opportunity to cath up during regular life, but these times that are few and far between are held dear. I was encouraged to hear about Creekside's youth group and where the Lord is working in the lives of my former junior highers (Jake took over my role when I left for Master's). I am glad they are still in good hands with JMK and the other leaders. Thanks for stopping by, Jake!

Second, Jake left late (and we stood outside talking for another 30 minutes or so). I came back inside and went to pull the blinds in my room, only to feel a sharp pain in the pinky of my right hand. It felt like a bite, so I turned on the overhead lamp and saw a mark, and pain was beginning to spread to the hand. Since black widows are known to reside in my house, I ran to my parent's room and said as calmly as possible, "Mom, I got bit." My dad jumps up and says, "What!?" Then I start crying because I think I am about to die while mom takes me to the kitchen sink to run cold water over the site of pain and dad goes hunting for whatever it was. He found a wasp, and the pain stopped at my wrist, so we assume that I was merely stung. Obviously, I did not die; 4 ibuprofen and 2 full-strength bennedryl did the trick. The finger is still swolen, but that's about it. It was funny that I had just commented to my dad at dinner about how I want to be able to write with my left hand better, and he asked why. This is why. So that when I get stung on the right hand, I can still write. The reality of God's control and sovereignty in the seemingly little moments became very real to me. I'm really thankful that it wasn't a black widow.

Third, I had a Dr. appointment this morning at 10. Due to the strength of the 2 bennedryl, I did not wake up until 9:15. I headed right over to the offices and had a great checkup. I had forgotten that Dr. Wong is a believer, and we talked a bit about missions. (If you are reading this, Dr. Wong, thank you.) There have been so many opportunites to share the gospel and be encouraged by fellow believers through preparation for this trip!! Yesterday I saw the eye doctor, and he is definitely not a believer. While he was giving me advice about making my "story" of PNG known after the trip, I simply told him that I am not striving for my own glory, by for God's. I do not know how much of that he understood, but God promises that His Word does not return void (Isaiah 55:11).

These are three of the surprises that God has placed in my life in the past 12 hours. I am thankful for every little thing He places in our lives for the greater purposes of His glory.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i heart dr. wong.
my mom loved the story. loved it.

Postings