Wednesday, March 7, 2007

flexability is key

I have been learning firsthand what the phrase "getting there is half the adventure" really means. Somewhere early in my missions education I learned that a missionary must be flexible with their plans. It just naturally makes sense. And if you think about it long enough, we should be flexible as believers in general. Not as a cliche, but as a reminder, I quote Proverbs 16:9, "The mind of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Though we may have something in mind--a plan for anything taking place in our lives--our sovereign God overrules our plans to fulfill His purposes. In light of this, I received news this morning that I will not be allowed to stay in PNG as long as originally planned. For whatever governmental purposes, I am not able to obtain a visa that lasts for more than 58 days. Thus, I am required to leave the country on July 19. I understand that my departing flight will be on that day, but again, the Lord may have something else in mind. I'm not going to pretend, but this saddens me a little bit. I was really hoping to stay in PNG for as long as possible, living and learning, living alongside like-minded people for the greater purposes of God's glory. I really have no idea what will happen upon my return to the states, other than debriefing with Dr. Tatlock. I now have an extra 6 weeks of summer break. But obviously, the Lord has bigger plans in mind. I am reminded of another Proverb, "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes..." (3:3-4a). There is a myriad of possibilities that could occur during this time, and even the current information has a possibility of being changed. The purpose of this is to keep you updated in prayers and our focus on God's greater plan of redemption for the world.

I read this post about living a missional life in the area of spending and think you too might be encouraged by it.

No comments:

Postings