Thursday, February 8, 2007

where is PNG, anyway?


What do we think of the prayer letter picture? And at the bottom we find the location of Papua New Guinea (slightly above the continent of Australia). Well, friends, I meet with the advisor tomorrow morning for the final say on all the PNG stuff. This is quite a journey. There is so much involved in putting together a mission trip, and I'm just talking on the individual basis. I cannot even imagine what this would be like in putting a whole team together (which was once a thought that was entertained). One thing I have been constantly reminded of in all this preparation is how easy it is to rely on myself. I came into the semester giving a testimony to the rest of the RA's about total dependence--primarily on the Lord--and I've been realizing how much my own walk does not always reflect that. When I do not pray and do not rely fully on God's grace in my life, I am living a works-based religion, right? Not to mention the amount of pride involved in that. Gross! I've been reading 2 Timothy of late, and I am continuously drawn back to 1:9, "...who has saved us and called us with a holy calling not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity..." Not only am I granted God's grace, but I have been granted it from eternity past. Yet I still think that I have something to offer God other than my ugly sin. I constantly think that by reading the Bible every morning or being on youth staff or attending enough chapels I will be sanctified. Clearly, in light of 2 Timothy 1:9, this thinking is wrong! I have nothing to offer God other than my sin. In one sense, this is so freeing! In another, it reminds me of my total dependence on God. I can do absolutely nothing apart from His sovereign grace. I think that's all for now.

1 comment:

BartlettHome said...

Kate-y,
That hyphen finally solves the misspelling problem, huh? I'm excited for your trip, and I know you will win over the hearts of all you meet.

It will be great to follow your blog!

Love,
Janet

Postings