Friday, February 23, 2007

keeping you posted

I went to the doctor's office three times today: once for them to tell me to come back later when it wasn't so busy (after already taking my vitals), twice to get the Typohid vaccination for PNG, and thrice to have an ear infection diagnosed in the right ear. I spent nearly every minute between chapel and RA class, until now at the office. Sitting in urgent care--with sick crying babies, adults with broken limbs, and the occasional old folk in for some reason or another--is quite the exercise of patience. I was reading through Paul's epistles for NT class, and I got to the point of being bored with it. (We'll address that sin later.) As I was about to call my sister to catch up on her day, the doctor finally came in to check out my ear. As he was writing out the prescription he noticed that I had just had a Typhoid injection that morning. Here is a brief synopsis of our conversation:
Dr: "Why Typhoid?"
me: "Travel injection."
Dr: "Where are you going?"
me: "To Papua New Guinea this summer."
Dr: "Why PNG?"
me: "For a short-term mission."
Dr: "Are you going with a group?"
me: "Yes, with New Tribes Mission."
Dr: "Where do you go to church?"
me: "Church of the Canyons" (woot) "Where do you go?"
Dr: "Grace Community."
me: "I am a student at Master's."
Dr: "oh! I know that well."
me: "Do you know Dr. Mark Tatlock?"
Dr: "Yes! I know him well."
me: "He's my advisor for this trip."
Dr: "I'll be praying for you."
It was sweet. What a sweet body of believers we are surrounded by.
And to think that I was becoming bored with reading Scripture and losing impatience just moments before! I have had the recent thought that my faith is sometimes circumstantial. I will write more about this as thoughts develop, Lord willing.
As for PNG, I heard from the missionary family this morning. They will be in So Cal in a couple of weeks, and I will get to meet up with them! When we get to meet up in March we will be discussing this further. The Swansons are on furlough right now in the states and hope to be back on the field by the time I get there. But in the case that they are not, they want to make sure that I will be hooked up with another missionary family and safe. At this point, we can all be praying for wisdom and faith as leadership makes decisions as to if me being in PNG for another 6 weeks--in the nature that I desire--is safe and wise. Final decisions will not be made for another couple of weeks, so this is yet another test of patience and flexability!
"...Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses...for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." I have been drawn to this passage for a while now, and my prayer is that my heart would echo Paul's words here (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

No comments:

Postings